"Radio rock" and Middle of The Road music.

Moderator: moe

bearsethi96

"Radio rock" and Middle of The Road music.

Post by bearsethi96 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:49 am

I just wanted to put to post some thoughts I've been having since my aux cord port busted and I had to get it fixed, and listened to my local "active rock" station.

Many of the charting bands seem to occupy a strange niche. Bands like Five Finger Death Punch and Pop Evil have fairly standard radio-friendly rock structured songs, yet their rhythm sections seem oddly more in sync with groove metal bands(medium tempo with an "aggressive" use of double bass drumming) and fairly standard hard rocking lyrics and tough guy image(and the same nasally yarl done since Creed on quieter parts)

Now that I'm back listening to my Abigor, X Japan, Dir en grey and Exodus I'm thinking to myself, what other rock acts over the years have had "middle of the road" sounds to them? Like not quite occupying a heavier niche but still bringing in a reasonable fascimile? I'm sure what's happened to genres like R&B is comparable. Hell, this seems to happen a lot in many genre life cycles. A lot of late period(yes, i consider glam metal to have a strangely rich history I divide into different eras, and that's not even getting into the melodic rock and AOR scene)glam metal like Firehouse, Enuff Z'nuff, Danger Danger etc hit big tend to meet similar bills, typically having extremely cheesy glammy lyrics and goofy over the top image...mixed with guitar shredding and sanitized production that turns down a lot of the edge and now that seems to be happening again with the post-grunge and alternative metal remnants.

So, what kinds of acts in rock(or really genres of any kind) meet this so called middle-of-the-road plurality, trying to be edgy yet pleasing all at once, and what kind of place do they mark in musical trends?

parocks

Re: "Radio rock" and Middle of The Road music.

Post by parocks » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:15 pm

Yeah, ok. Maybe.

You're diving back maybe 30 years for your comparisons.

I think Firehouse was 90s? Enuff Z Enuff maybe 80s?

You're also using terms like "middle of the road" to describe mainstream/active rock songs? I don't think that MOR is a term that is used today to refer to anything. And it's been a long time since it's been used that I can't really remember what it meant. Maybe a Foreigner power ballad from 1984?

BUT, I think I kinda get what you're saying. There can be a certain sameness across genres. A song written by a pro songwriter, with generic hit characteristics, could be recorded using the typical genre conventions and be played on a number of different formats. And that does happen, and I think that's what you're talking about. Maybe what you're saying is that a 5fdp song, if you removed the characteristics that make it a mainstream/active rock radio song, could be a country song, if you put country type sounds to it. That's true. It's not entirely true, as there certainly are rock songs on the charts that are rock songs, and don't sound like generic hit songwriting.

Ayron Jones is one who can play the guitar for sure. The songs are heavy, good. Sometimes, though, his singing sounds like Michael Jackson. I don't think that's what you meant though. Just wanted to point out something new(ish) that was good. The new Death From Above 1979 sounds real good, has the general Royal Blood drums and distorted bass thing going on, but it's not clear if that DFA 1979 is going to be a radio song or not. It's not like a wide variety of different people at radio stations are all just playing what sounds good to them. Generally, it seems like All Access pretty much provides fairly long lists (cool new music) of what is out there at the moment for radio stations to play. I don't see the new DFA 1979 on that list (yet?). One + One is the song.