Has anyone heard of California Jam?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
caljamscott

Re: Has anyone heard of California Jam?

Post by caljamscott » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:06 pm

It's amazing how many hard rockers actually have never heard of the Jam. The supression must be lifted and the Truth prevail about this gig. It was the biggest music gig ever, surpassing even Woodstock in size, excitement and the beauty of the sound that I created from it.

danmac

Post by danmac » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:00 pm

I have a few questions. Since I live in New Mexico and was 13 back in 74 I never heard of the California Jam, who are the artist that played in the concert? Who was the promoter? Due you have any of the "Clearance" to broadcast or "Air" this Cool Video?

If you remember the show "WKRP in Cincinnati", the reason it took so long for it to be put out on DVD was the matter of "Artist Rights" or "Clearance".

ASCAP and BMI would be the place to start you journey BUT I would not give them too much information until after reading their rules and regulations.

Good Luck I hope to someday see and HEAR your Video.

dan.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:42 pm

Thank you Dan. First I do not have anything to do with the video, although I have acquired some top notch videos of the Jam. There were 8 performing bands that day. Please check that on Google. The promoter was ABC-TV who of course today is the Mouse.

As far as I know I do not have any clearance to the audio, although I don't know why there are several assortments of videos on youtube. All fair quality, varying from good to poor. This California Jam stuff is hard to come by.Although there seems to be a resurgence in interest in it as of late. Which is a good thing. I don't dig the idea of suppressing it.

I must say I've never had any problem with any of the many radio shows I've displayed my world exclusive Ferric Oxide recordings of the Jam. I'd like this to go global. I'm telling you and everyone out here right now this 3+ hours recording is bigger and more important than classic rock.

Thanks for the ASCAP and BMI lead. I've been "around." The main thing is let everyone know about California Jam. If the Mouse goes out of business along the way, so what? This is how strong the tape is dan.

mockspeed

Post by mockspeed » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 pm

Maybe you could provide a sample of a few songs on You Tube.

winterwest

Post by winterwest » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:23 pm

I was there, Scott. In fact, I worked in the "Big Yellow Tent". (I'd be surprised to have not seen you there...)

I'm wondering how good the quality of your recording could be given the technology of the day. If you weren't plugged directly in to feed, you would have had to have been in the perfect place there among 550,000 other screaming fans.

And what's with not answering regarding the line up?

muzza

Post by muzza » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:56 am

Hey for a bit of info on this event check this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam

Oh those were the days when Radio was Cool and part of your crew.
The old Westwood one had many concet series recordings, does anyone still do this anymore ?

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:10 am

mockspeed wrote:Maybe you could provide a sample of a few songs on You Tube.
I can provide a bit of of it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3MwXWv6VWM
The Biggest Event In Film History

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:12 am

winterwest wrote:I was there, Scott. In fact, I worked in the "Big Yellow Tent". (I'd be surprised to have not seen you there...)

I'm wondering how good the quality of your recording could be given the technology of the day. If you weren't plugged directly in to feed, you would have had to have been in the perfect place there among 550,000 other screaming fans.

And what's with not answering regarding the line up?
If I were "plugged directly in to feed" today we wouldn't have "the only three hours of radio that matters," correct?

Why don't you help out and post the list of performers?

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:20 am

muzza wrote:Hey for a bit of info on this event check this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Jam

Oh those were the days when Radio was Cool and part of your crew.
The old Westwood one had many concet series recordings, does anyone still do this anymore ?
I can tell you from my days of living The Beatles, Janis, Jimi, Doors, Mamas & Papas, Sinatra, Judy Garland et al (with a bit of Super 8 film to prove) don't bet on any soundtracks coming from those days. In fact, the very phrase "soundtrack" hadn't been invented yet so there you go. Neither had plastic bags, bottled water or telephone answering machines.

Well that's not entirely true. Telephone answering machines had been invented around 1963 or so. I know this because they speak about them on my lovely ethnic record The Borscht Belt also released in 1963. But you can tell from my Borscht Belt record they certainly were being parodied and certainly not in widespread usage.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:04 am

I clicked the link; it's nice. I can't resist this California Jam stuff. California Jam items are hard to come by. One of my domains is californiajam.com which is currently parked. When I reopen it I expect 10,000 members off the bat and another 5,000 per day as everyone switches their attention to California Jam as opposed to today's ordinary schlock.