Air Talent: We Need Your Stories! (The American DJ-Book)

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
kendallweaver

Air Talent: We Need Your Stories! (The American DJ-Book)

Post by kendallweaver » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Submission Deadline: March 9nd 2011

Dear Broadcaster;
I’m writing a book based on my experiences in radio and entertainment, and the shifting landscape of radio in this digital age. Along with my own story, I want to celebrate The American DJ by sharing stories from successful DJs across the country such as yourself. It is, of course, completely voluntary, and only intended to be fun for a listener or other radio professionals to read. While there’s no pay for your contribution, the project will be great publicity for your show, and stand as a written record of “your story.”
Since we’ll have stories from radio people all over the country who are currently doing shows, we’ll have an instant marketing network. Once the book is finished, I’m hoping that since you’re in it, you’ll want to help promote it by mentioning it on your show so people can buy it and read your story. I’ll provide an electronic copy of the book to each contributor when it’s ready, and if your story is chosen to be included, will print your story exactly as you submit it, outside of any grammatical corrections.
In 3 to 6 pages (8.5 x 11 inch, single spaced, size 12 font) please describe how you got into radio, and why. Feel free to name drop concerning celebrities you’ve worked with. This book will have excerpts from many broadcasters such as yourself, in all different market sizes. Any crazy promotions? On-air catastrophes, etc.?
Basically, write up your history in radio in a few pages, with a few anecdotes about the best or worst things that have happened in your career. This book will be a celebration of the American DJ, so feel free to approach it that way. Remember, people in your area will know you, but people across the country who purchase the book may need a bit more explanation regarding town names, etc.

Include things like:
How did you get into radio?
What was your first paying gig? And how was it?
Describe some of the most colorful people you’ve worked with.
Where was your best radio gig? And your worst?
What is good about doing radio in the city you’re in?
What has radio meant to you over the long run?
What is your view on the future of radio, and the challenges it faces concerning the internet and streaming audio from around the world?

Please provide a picture or two of you doing your current show, or any picture you think would be appropriate. This could be just you, or you and your show team.. or? please provide a caption for each picture.

Email your text and photo (JPG format is fine) to Radiokendall@yahoo.com as soon as completed.
Thanks for your participation in this fun project. The publication date is not set, but you’ll be notified when it is.

justthelatest

Re: Air Talent: We Need Your Stories! (The American DJ-Book)

Post by justthelatest » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 am

Dale Carter at KFKF has been demoted and has lost nearly half his pay with the Wilks organization and they are possibley even kicking his morning show co-host Mary to the boot as well. I work in the Wilks organization and I thought I would let everyone know. They have been trying to make a decision to do this for a while. Dan Holiday in the afternoons is getting the boot and being fired as well. They have taken the KFKF station from many employees to hardly no employees. Wilks like to fire people and strip the stations to nothing... no matter if the people are good people or even if the people make the station LOTS of money... Wilks does not care. So - breaking news... Dale is being moved from mornings to afternoons and losing nearly half his pay and Mary might be getting fired and Dan is getting fired as well. I have to keep quiet on who I am... I just wanted the industry to know what is taking place.

partyshark

Post by partyshark » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 am

Wilks like to fire people and strip the stations to nothing... no matter if the people are good people or even if the people make the station LOTS of money... Wilks does not care
And this surprises you? You can substitute any other radio corporation name into that scenario and it would be true. This is radio, man, get used to it.

mockspeed

Post by mockspeed » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:55 pm

Lots of luck with the book, and all that rot. Radio stories are blase'. I used to think it was unique, all the sleazy business deals, firing jocks for no reasons, GM trying to bang a request line girl, remotes, drugs, meeting famous musicans, payola. It's done, after awhile its like water off a ducks back. All these jocks, who claim they will write their biography kill me. Maybe 1 in a thousand gets past the first chapter, they enhance their place & pad their ego at every step. Its boring. I don't think today radio dj means anything..

kendallweaver

Post by kendallweaver » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 am

Mockspeed, you certainly have a right to your opinion, although if you're so NOT interested, I'm not sure why you're here talking down to people. My book will be available this summer, and if you don't think these stories are interesting, don't buy it.