Future of Radio

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
seanyg

Future of Radio

Post by seanyg » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:07 am

So I think this might be fun discussion to put up on here, but where do you think the future of radio lies? I don’t think anyone would disagree that Radio (and Media in General) is changing. So this is to get us thinking about the uncertain future that is within this field and how radio will survive.

If you haven’t thought much about it, possible avenues you could pursue could be Podcasts, Internet Radio, Having Automations and playlist station, Where people listen to Radio and What they look for.

Thanks for your involvment.

Sinserly
Seany G

fmdj1

Re: Future of Radio

Post by fmdj1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Seany,
Great question! We already know that streaming is moving into cars. This means another competitor for ears. The question is, just like with satellite radio or ipods, will people pay for it? I assert people will eventually pay for it. The growing number of people on smart phones shows the growing interest in having online resources wherever you go, and if your car can be a mobile hotspot with streaming, why not?
So what I think this means for radio is a mix of more localism and exclusive syndicated programming. I say that because that is what it has meant for TV. Since the mass adoption of cable and satellite TV, local stations have survived by offering local content and syndicated programming that people can't get elsewhere. The good news is it should mean less automation. The bad news is it will probably mean a whole lot more going after local shops for the ad revenue and losing, to some extent, the national dollars.
I also think local owners are better poised to adapt, but at the same time they also need to adopt to capitalizing on new media marketing resources, like social networking. Unfortunately, this has been a weakness for local owners generally because they don't have the staff or means to really give it what it takes.

johnp3

Post by johnp3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:18 am

Interesting question. An even more interesting question is with all the growing interest in internet access for cars, how much longer before the automakers take the space that is currently used by radio receivers and install internet receivers?

After all - what exactly is the financial incentive for the auto industry to keep radio? Especially if MS or Apple or some other major technology company offers an incentive to the auto industry to put internet connectivity into vehicles?

Which begs the next question: what will happen to radio when it loses the auto industry as it's main source of listeners? "70% or more of all radio listeners are in their cars..." - RAB, NAB, etc...

Prediction: by 2015 at the earliest and 2020 at the latest radio will no longer be offered in vehicles except as perhaps an added-on purchase option.

Any predictions on radio's future after that?

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:30 pm

If radio has any future, it's in the human element.. having a personality behind the mic that interacts with the listener.

Spinning top 40 tunes non stop with a few commercials slid in isn't going to keep people listening to traditional radio with all the alternatives.. iPods, XM, streaming internet audio, etc.

Regurgitating syndicated shows is just as impersonal.

As to how people in 10 years will hear that audio program.. there will likely come a day in the not too distant future when broadcasting over the air to reach an audience is simply not necessary.. at least not an audience that is attractive to high dollar advertisers.

There will likely always be a market for traditional radio broadcasts.. much like there is for television broadcasts.. but you have to give people a REASON to listen to your medium over the others.

bockmill

Post by bockmill » Tue May 03, 2011 5:52 am

For each of our brands, there's a short list of things that people love about us.

It might be the music we play ... the funny morning show ... a particular contest that always drives ratings. Reliable traffic and weather. Entertaining talk about my favorite sports teams. Each successful station has one, two, maybe three hallmarks that drive its success.

These days, people don't care if they get it through their radio, their computer or their phone. We need to be a lot better about delivering what people love about us through all the ways that people can enjoy us. That means on the air, on-site at events, in our online streams, on our websites, and in social media.

Our brands are not about what we do every day at work; it's about how our fans enjoy us out there in real life.

Chris Miller
http://RadioSocialMedia.wordpress.com