the follow up...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mbass85

the follow up...

Post by mbass85 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 pm

i send out at least 3 resumes a week, and try to follow up with an e-mail. i get too anxious waiting for a response, which is pretty naive to think they will actually get back to me(which they never do) about 90% of these jobs clearly request that you not CALL THEM!? WTF!? have you ever gotten employment without actually speaking with someone at the company? jesus christ! throw me a bone here,or i might just quit before i actually get started. (part time board operator doesn't count...) just feeling extreme frustration. i already work a shit job, and starting to think i might be working in the factory the rest of my life. idk, just need some advice.

thanks,
the mid 20's dude

spokesgoddess

Re: the follow up...

Post by spokesgoddess » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:00 am

Don't give up!
I've seen it happen more than once, where the board op or production assistant finally lands that overnight shift (even though it may be voice tracked) it's still an on-air gig and you can supplement your current job and use it to get to the next step up. Keep refining your demo. Keep it fresh. Don't send something with a news piece from 2 years ago if you can help it. Get advice on the demo you're sending out, does it really showcase your abilities? Is there something that might turn a PD off at the beginning? Remember, you probably have 10-15 seconds of a PD's attention, so put your best stuff first so they may actually listen longer. It's good to follow up with an email and follow up again if you don't hear from them within two weeks. Tell them you're really interested and would be happy to send in more info, etc. This may sound cliched, but if you're really passionate about being in radio and continue to hone your craft you will land a gig! All the best and feel free to send me your demo if you'd like an honest critique. courtney@lite937.com I just got this gig after almost 4 years on the beach. It can be done, my friend!

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:19 am

hey thanks for the advice! i find it hard to be "creative" with a news demo. i was talking to the news director at my station and he told me that it's all about how you deliver the headline, or how you lead into the story. i have sounders and quick "news" bumps on my demo,but if you have 10 seconds to get attention you can't even begin to read copy, before a PD says the "aw, the hell with this" and then its in the dump. Do you just hope and pray that this 1 person likes the tone of your voice!? if so, this is kinda bogus. one PD could hate it,but another could love it. anyways, i'll take your advice and be assertive.
thanks

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:05 am

i know DANNO.i'm starting to realize that this radio thing might just be a crock of shit. i feel like i am just pissing in the wind when i send out these resumes/cover letters because it's all a waste of time, and maybe i don't realize that i suck, but at least i would like a PD to respond and say "get bent, you asshole you're terrible" a la simon cowell or something. i know this isn't a perfect world,but applying for jobs in the BROADCASTING industry where communication matters most, and never seem to make human contact with a live human being, other than ELECTRONIC MAIL is BS!

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:10 am

...or no response is a polite silent treatment way of saying "you suck"

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:21 pm

alright. i'll keep these things in mind danno. thanks

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:15 pm

halltalk wrote:Based on your posts here, I think attitude is a much bigger problem than any talent issues or the silence of PDs. I wish you luck but I'm guessing you're in for a rough ride no matter what you do.
attitude!? LOL...im sure you had no struggles starting out because you're perfect, and weren't subject to this new thing called: EMAIL, NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. i am on here trying to get advice on being assertive...etc. it's hard to do that when communication seems to be a stumbling block in this industry,which is ironic because one would think that communication is the backbone of broadcasting, but then again i'm a part-timer newbie so what do i know? rough ride, really? darn it! i thought life was a cake walk down a golden road with no worries, but thanks again for the luck and enlightenment because i was just born yesterday.

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:34 pm

well it is a crap shoot, and yes spending time and money and getting nowhere is very frustrating. i am not naive, but there has to be some kind of end point where you just give it a smoldering screw it. staying positive while the door is slammed in your face takes guts. sorry, if some of my posts got out of hand, but it's easy to do when you're passionate about something, and always feel like you're coming up short. everyone here has made good points, and i'm sure my ranting posts have knocked some gray matter loose in some other users as well. i am not on allaccess to cause any ruckus peeps. again, sorry to halltalk for my bullshit.

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 pm

jammincory wrote:
halltalk wrote:mbass -
I have no answers for you. But I will assure you that sending out audio/resumes and hearing zip is nothing new. The only difference is today it's e-mail - yesterday it was snail mail.
And thank goodness most PD's and companies have embraced e-mail and the MP3 or audio link option. When I was first getting started I would send out anywhere from 8 to 15 packages a week trying to find full-time since I was just a lowly part-timer. And I did the overnight mail, on a credit card (damn you early 20's me!).

Sending out an e-mail and not getting a response is disheartening, but sending it and spending money you don't have and not getting a response hurts your ego and your wallet.

Cory
yes cory i know that feeling as well buddy...