5 jobs for one salary - Really?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
sburke

Re: 5 jobs for one salary - Really?

Post by sburke » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:39 am

Did you guys know that Bob of Bob and Sheri is close to 70 years old? A guy I know that used to work with them told me.

femmyv

Post by femmyv » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:13 pm

spokesgoddess wrote:When I was starting out in a small market I worked the morning show and was the promotions director. I also worked as the morning co-host, news director, public affiars director and did production for another station years later (and this was in the 90's). Call it luck or divine intervention, I'm back on the air 15 years later (after a 4 year hiatus), in a smaller market, one hat and one owner. Go figure.

Just curious - do you also receive junk mail that's properly addressed, "dear Homeowner"?

spokesgoddess

Post by spokesgoddess » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:30 am

We're looking for a morning host at my station. Liveable wage in a decent market. And femmyv, the answer is no.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:20 am

Just out of curiosity, what constitutes a "livable" wage?

I'm thinking of coloring myself with some black shoe polish, donning a camouflage jacket, and standing on a freeway off-ramp with a sign advertising my 'Golden Voice' and just wait for the offers to roll in.

Sending resumes and airchecks doesn't seem to yield much in the results department.. so I figure what the heck? Cardboard is cheap. Why not give that approach a whirl?

Now I don't want to sell myself short and settle for some lame gig as the voice of the Cleveland Cavs and a free house.. or get roped into some "sweatshop" gig where I have to talk on the radio AND pick songs to plug into the automation system.

That would severely cut into my lead paint chip eating time. I should be properly compensated.

sburke

Post by sburke » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:01 am

I've been looking for 4 months with twenty five years of major market experience and PPM success-I get maybe one percent response from hundreds of T and R's sent. It's hard on the psyche.

thecheese

Post by thecheese » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:08 am

As a casual observer and listener it seems clear to me that radio has been in something of a dive for the last decade or more.. and it's not a political thing or a recession thing.

Sure, stations want to cut costs, and maximize their revenue.. with dwindling ad revenues, it becomes more and more attractive to ditch the human and pipe in some syndicated show or voice tracker.

Used to be a time when the radio was the only place short of a record shop where a listener could be exposed to new music. It was a great way to get the weather and news on the go.

Besides, driving to work every morning, you need SOMETHING to listen to besides your muffler dragging, right?

MP3's and iPods let listeners be their own DJ and listen to music wherever they are, commercial free. They get their news from the internet. What do they need the radio for?

That just means what used to cut it 20 years ago isn't going to cut it today. You need to stand out, and be a real talent... or be versatile.. or maybe just lucky.

Meanwhile, logic would dictate that the jocks that remain must be the cream of the crop, right?

Nope.

I hear radio shows all the time and all I can think is, "How the F*&# did these people get this gig?"

razorback9926

Post by razorback9926 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Before jjenkins does another "LMAO," perhaps he can tell us where he's currently on the air at. Most likely, he's eating a bag of Doritos on the couch, watching Jerry Springer, bemoaning the current state of the industry.

Kudos to spokegoddess, she's on the air and being paid. It doesn't get much better than that.