Do you work at KFI? WBBM? or WABC?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mbass85

Do you work at KFI? WBBM? or WABC?

Post by mbass85 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:29 am

It has been very difficult working in the radio industry. I work in a small market within 100 miles of chicago, and when i get interviews with bigger market stations it feels like they don;t want to take the chance of hiring someone from the small market(i know that makes no sense). IDK...so share your story at KFI,WBBM,WABC? where did you start out?,how did you get the job? and the most important thing:who pulled the strings for you? ha ha just joking. my 1st ever interview was for a station that i had ACCIDENTALLY sent my demo to the owner of the communications company who in turn sent it to a GM,so i think the only reason i got that interview was the owner told the GM to listen to this demo right here,but didn't get the job! no shock here! nothing is easy. 3-5 resumes a week for 8 months...2 interviews...priceless. share your experience i would appreciate it. also, if anyone from KFI,WBBM,WABC want to PM with some advice that's fine too i would really appreciate it,but that might be asking too much.
thanks friendly folks!

mansvoice

Re: Do you work at KFI? WBBM? or WABC?

Post by mansvoice » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:31 pm

It's a tight market, my friend. You need a large portion of talent and a sizable portion of " at-the-right- place-at-the-right-time". The only time networking will help you land a job is when you've already been in a like-market with a great deal of proven talent.
If I understand your letter correctly, you have no (or very little) real experience, is that right? If that's the case, then I would suggest that attacking the Chicago market is probably not going to happen for you.
Remember- you're competing with a lot of heavy talent out there; talent that has a lot more to offer than you have.
Get your feet wet in a smaller market, and then come to Chi-town.
Meanwhile, I'd be happy to critique your demo, if you'd like.
Yours,
Karl
mansvoice@yahoo.com

newsstud

Post by newsstud » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:19 pm

There are infinite reasons why you are not breaking into the Chicago market.

As it's been said above, the chief reason is that you likely haven't developed your talent enough to be competitive in that arena. You are trying to squeeze in between many professionals with years of experience and stacks of credentials who are all after a very few number of jobs.

As you've singled out stations with news-heavy formats (specifically an "all news" station in Chicago) I'll take it your interest lies with news. While you're likely not uncovering White House scandals working in a small market, I'd be interested in knowing how well you cover your beats? Are you assigned to cover the school board? The best public policy story I covered was while I worked in a small, unrated market: The county government wanted to spray mosquito-killing chemicals from a helicopter, but citizen groups were dead-set against it. It was a small town with not a lot of people, but it was a big deal for that community.

These are the things programming and news directors should hear about you. They are also interested in your ability to write for the medium (writing "tightly" and "for the ear") and to use recorded sound creatively. You can win points by proving that you are technically astute and won't require laborious assistance in using your assigned equipment.

These things are perhaps more important than having a big, booming voice.

You may also not be presenting yourself well enough, either on-paper (or the electronic equivalent) or in-person. Not to come across as nit-picky, but if the grammar demonstrated in your post is indicative of the type of letters or e-mails you send potential employers... you might be the person holding yourself back. Improper spelling, syntax or punctuation is akin to showing up for a job interview in a stained shirt, ratty jeans and muddy sneakers. I don't purport to be the best writer of letters seeking a job, but I do proofread. I also consult writing style handbooks and ask trusted friends to "eyeball" things I've written, as I know I can miss errors.

Hope that helps.

mbass85

Post by mbass85 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:04 pm

thanks for the advice.