Don't waste your time on Jobs that are not there...

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
danno

Don't waste your time on Jobs that are not there...

Post by danno » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:58 am

next time you see a job opening posted here, do your homework, there may not be a job after all. case in point, saw one for "The Pickle" somewhere in PA, morning show... i go to their website and see their morning guy posting, "hey i JUST moved here from TN" - hope i can handle the snow! so, unless you want to fill their eeo file or you have plenty of time on your hands don't bother. it would also be great to EXPOSE these kind of people who post openings AFTER they hire someone, so if you find it post it! maybe we can put an end to it.

1lossir

Re: Don't waste your time on Jobs that are not there...

Post by 1lossir » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Everyone knows that 99.9999% of jobs posted online are there only for EEO. Networking has always been and is still the best way to get a gig.

danno

Post by danno » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:15 pm

ooohhh, i've got it, beg your friends and their friends for a job, kiss some ass, then if and when you get it, the station posts a "Job Opening" for a job that is already filled. Got it! Thanks!

sburke

Post by sburke » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:36 am

Case in point-A station in Canton advertised for a morning co host gig on August 8. On the 15th (Today)

a new co-host is announced. From the market. So the ads really are an EOE dump! Q.E.D.

danno

Post by danno » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 am

the job postings are a Sham, as far as i'm concerned they are all "Stealth Jobs", and i give it the attention it deserves. i guess its asking too much for Honesty, i Love radio but this is a Horse Shit business, and i've known it for quite some time, but like someone said in The Godfather "This is the business WE chose".....

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm

sburke wrote:Case in point-A station in Canton advertised for a morning co host gig on August 8. On the 15th (Today) a new co-host is announced. From the market. So the ads really are an EOE dump! Q.E.D.
Actually, they posted a pic of Deluca in the studio wearing a Mix 94.1 t-shirt on the 13th.. I don't recall when it was I first saw the opening, but suffice it to say the job was filled in short order.

Not really a total surprise.. they needed a morning guy, and Deluca has been kind of twisting in the wind doing the online thing and formerly had a monster show in the very same market.

Kind of a no-brainer, on the PD's part.

But that's the biz. And let's face it.. in radio, it's a lot more about WHO you know than WHAT you know.. and shows and stations from coast to coast are littered with shows staffed by people who just happened to know somebody that was a PD or worked at a station.

I know of one case where a morning show co-host was actually the cleaning lady pulled into the studio one morning.

They are required by law to post openings publicly, but I don't know that they're required to actually look at any of the applicants.

I will say this.. John Stewart is one of the few PD's that takes the time to send an eMail not only thanking people for applying when he receives the package, but also to say the position had been filled.

charlieday

Post by charlieday » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 am

As an old timer in the biz, I would say that you might think it is a waste of time applying to jobs that might be gone. First off, social networking is a great way to go most of the time. However as trade papers or websites have dwindled, there are not many ways to get leads after your social network. Case in point. I was out of work three years. I use both ways and stumbled on a post here for one close to my home. Applied and it was filled. Then a month later, it popped up again. Thought it was a web glitch. But applied again and sure enough the guy who took the job quit after a month. Even in old days of mail in resumes, as a PD we only held on to them a couple of months. The job changes to fast to sort through a stack of old ones and call everybody to see if they are still available. So you never know what can land you a gig.
By the way, I got called about the job within an hour of applying the second time. Been here with great people for seven months. So I would say that you try whatever you can to get a gig even if it seems futile. A job gone today can be an opening tomorrow.

voxandrew

Post by voxandrew » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Seriously? You're gonna complain about having to spend :15 seconds clicking a mouse & forwarding on a package and stock letter to a job that may not even be there? Gee, sorry to take those precious :15 seconds of your day.
Certainly, in many instances the job listings are for EEO purposes. But all? Even 50%? I doubt it. Three times since 2007 I've found myself w/o work and looking. In 2 of 3 cases I found my next (including my current) gig in the job listings. And with decent, up-to-date online listings dwindling, I got off my ass and did my own homework. For the 3rd gig I researched areas of the country I liked, and scoured websites to find current contact emails, and I BLANKETED the areas I wanted to be in with my package.... sometimes sending upwards of several hundred packages to stations not even listing any jobs. That's what did it for me this last time. Some may say networking is the most important, I say it is, but timing is more important. This is not more evident unless you're the one posting a job opening. Last fall I posted a morning show opening at 8am pacific on a Monday, and by noon I already had well over 100 packages.
So the question is, do you want to be LOST in the flood, or already be there ahead of the pack?

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:00 pm

You bring up a very good point.

Lots of people out there looking for work.. and when a station puts up an opening, they get hammered with replies.

100's. Maybe even 1,000's.

In a perfect world, a PD would listen to every submission thoughtfully.. and read every resume.

Truth is, they're listening to the first few seconds and if that doesn't blow their proverbial skirt up, it's on to the next one in the pile.

How to get noticed out of 1,000+ eMails in a gMail inbox is the million dollar question.

Maybe send the station a pizza around lunch time with your aircheck taped to the top of the box?

danno

Post by danno » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:05 pm

i must have started something, over 2300 Hits! because everyone knows i'm right! there have been some Great ideas about how to get THAT Job posted here, but it doesn't matter IF the one posting the job opening has ALREADY filled the job you are going after. one thing i haven't seen is SOMEONE DEFENDING the practice of posting a job opening knowing that they will move a PT Grunt down the hall for less money than say YOU several hundred miles away. or the NEW dude starts Monday, so "I Better Post That Job Opening Today"....