UNPAID GIGS

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
justadj

Re: UNPAID GIGS

Post by justadj » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:26 pm

As a PD OD and morning guy. I just don't know any other way in the door at the radio station other than unpaid intern for someone trying to break into the industry. I really never met anyone in this industry that "got into radio" for a paycheck. Most of us were real happy just to be "on the air". I still am. The real problem as I see it is this. Too many think more of themselves than their talent level can justify. Keep working at it. You may get a paid job some day.

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 am

It's true.. most in radio don't do it for the big bucks.. but most of us need to eat and live.

Hell, even the kid rockin' the mic at the local burger joint drive-thru is getting paid minimum wage (at least).

I have never, and would never work in a radio station for free.

I can see an unpaid internship while you're in broadcasting school or college.. but beyond that?

No way.

Maybe I'll start a business tomorrow and tell potential employees I need people to load/unload trucks, work the cash register, etc but there is ZERO pay.

You're doing it for "exposure".

Who knows? Maybe one day someone will come in and see what a good job you're doing stacking boxes and offer to pay you to do it for them? Then off you go. Like a rocket to the stars.

Please.

justadj

Post by justadj » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 pm

You make a good point...one jock in town lost his gig on the radio and now he's waiting tables. He called me and said he will work a shift for nothing just to keep his name in the game. Is he happy? No way!

frankincleveland

Post by frankincleveland » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:48 am

justadj wrote:As a PD OD and morning guy. I just don't know any other way in the door at the radio station other than unpaid intern for someone trying to break into the industry. The real problem as I see it is this. Too many think more of themselves than their talent level can justify. .
No doubt there are guys camping out in their parents basement sending off airchecks expecting $70k gigs from micro markets that completely suck on the mic and have a voice like nails tossed in a wood chipper.. but those aren't the norm.

How do you get started in radio? Find a station looking for a board op for local games. Or create your own versions of commercials and create a production demo to send to PD's that shows off your abilities in Adobe.

Anybody worth doing ANYTHING in a radio station is worth at least minimum wage.

If you have the pipes and a decent mic and software at home, offer your abilities to local stations on a 'per commercial' basis, or make friends with AE's.

In LOTS of small markets, particularly with the increasing loss of local air staff to network programming and VT'ing, there is a need for different voices for local commercials in small market radio.

Again.. don't expect $100 a read kinds of gigs.. but a few bucks for a :30 read so the one live on air person in the station isn't voicing ALL the local spots? I'll bet you could find a few stations interested.

For those of us who love radio, it might be tempting to pick up some free gigs just to be "in the game".. but I assure you, a startup internet radio station that lacks the funding to pay you even a few dollars an airshift isn't anywhere near "the game".

Be realistic, but don't give yourself (or your talents) away for free.

ison

Post by ison » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:43 pm

IT"S WRONG!

danno

Post by danno » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:14 pm

i've seen lots of Unpaid-Interns, and all i see them doing is getting the station van washed and filled with gas, setting up tables at remotes, handing out fliers, getting the morning show coffee,cleaning out storage rooms,cutting the grass, i saw a PD ask an intern to run down to the 7-11 and get him a pack of smokes. in short, ITS GRUNT WORK! Radio stations are Not Universities eager to train young skulls full of mush! they want GoFers. all i would say is If i were going in as an intern i would want "some" idea that there might be a paying job for me down the line and fairly soon.

skore100

Post by skore100 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:37 pm

Joel,

I understand the confusion and the opposing points of view here.
May I sugguest a new category for "Unpaid Gigs"? Just like "Stealth Jobs"? Just my two cents.

I think such a solution would offer a clear destination for those seeking an unconventional opportunity while mitigating the response from those who feel insulted by seeing a non-paying gig equated to a paying job in the same marketplace.

They are two different animals and should not be lumped together, imho.

All the best,

Matt Damrow

jjenkins

Post by jjenkins » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 am

If you don't want the unpaid job, don't take it. That simple. Maybe show some initiative and start your own podcast? If you can't make it in this day and age when it is so easy to create and distribute a show then you don't deserve to get paid.