Misleading ad titles?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
dwc151

Misleading ad titles?

Post by dwc151 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Has anyone gotten a job here by posting a ridiculous clickbait title?

pine

Re: Misleading ad titles?

Post by pine » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Many years ago used the title as a beginner looking for a job, "Foot In The Door, Wrong Room"

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:02 pm

That's catchy and not at all misleading. Did it work? Seems like the same 4 guys posting all the seeking jobs ads for the past 5 years.

roofuscarter

Post by roofuscarter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:33 am

Most stations with openings have filled the position or have someone in mind before they ever post their ad.

In "Situations Wanted" I think the majority of people reading those ads are other out of work people killing time and sizing up the competition.

The only job offers I've ever received from the "Situations Wanted" ads are people wanting you to do a live air shift, a voice tracked show, all their production, sports play-by-play, and when you're done with that, spend the other half of the day doing sales.

For $24,000 a year.

In the regular "Jobs" section, I've had a handful of good offers from gigs I've inquired about.. but I suspect the bulk of those ads posted are intended to comply with EEO more than they are actually hiring someone.

The best way to get work in this industry is network.

It's who you know.

dwc151

Post by dwc151 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:31 pm

You're right that 90% of the ads here are EEO requirements. I did however get my current gig from here. Took almost 3 years and literally over 1000 resumes sent out, but I got it.

roofuscarter

Post by roofuscarter » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:52 pm

So did I.

It didn't take three years, thank God.. but I did land my current gig from the All Access "Job Openings" board.

To answer your initial question.. the only job offers I ever received from ads I posted on the "Situations Wanted" section were laughable. Usually micro market stations wanting you to spend half your day doing two air shifts, voice tracking, production, imaging, and doubling as receptionist.. then with the OTHER half of your day do sales. For $24k and no benefits.

Goofy titles in Situations Wanted result in way higher views.. but not ever a legitimate job offer.

I created this ridiculous persona (and associated air check) just to have a little fun with the process in solidarity with a few of my "on the beach" friends and to deliver a little comic relief to those weary from what I know can seem like an endless search.