Production Rooms Software

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
onairla

Production Rooms Software

Post by onairla » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:38 am

What is the software of choice in your production rooms? I'd also like to know why you choose one over the other.

teckstuff

Re: Production Rooms Software

Post by teckstuff » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:09 pm

Adobe Audition is what I recommend for recording and editing audio (formerly Cool Edit Pro). The easiest to use, best automation software I've used in the production room is TLC from Scott Studios (now Google Automation).

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:11 pm

I still love ProTools, even though it probably is overkill for the needs of radio. I do a lot of video now, and ProTools comes in handy with Final Cut Pro and Avid.

AudioVault always impressed me for a server system. So does MediaTouch. The lack of support from Scott Systems made me swear off that company for good.

onairla

Post by onairla » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:29 am

I too have a soft spot for AudioVault. We were the beta testers here in the large desert market. AV did have a rough start with a ton of "memory-leaks" software and mondo file sizes. I was amazed how a staff of 2 could run the entire product w/ the audience none the wiser, and competitive numbers.

A kid by the air name Rob Banks was the other staffer; his understanding and execution allowed the station to go from LMA to sold for full-market value a couple of years into the 2 man crew.

nesbitt

Post by nesbitt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Having been a user since 1989 I'm sticking with Protools. But if I had to do it all over again I'd go with Adobe Audition. Protools offers a lot but is locked up with a lot of security features.

Audio Vault is the best for automation. I've used all the other major systems in the past but AV is best for ease of use and reliability.

Bill

ibizamitch

Post by ibizamitch » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:37 pm

Agreed Audio Vault is by far the best software for any station. Its simplicity is its key.

As for the production I would say that Protools and Adobe Audition are neck and neck. I started with Adobe and had a lot of trouble learning Protools, but Protools is good to know in case you're ever working with a different media for the site or decide to work with music.

chadwilkinson

Post by chadwilkinson » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:13 pm

home studio is Pro-Tools LE running on an IMAC and my MAC Book Pro. I also use to Adobe a lot but the plug ins on the earlier version sucked.

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:51 am

Audacity is free, multi-track and cross platform plus will save files in all the common formats. For a home voice studio, this is fine until you find you need something more. Whoever will do the final engineering will have other preferences, but to just lay down tracks, you need to keep it simple.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm a big fan of the Sony Suite of Software: Vegas for multi-track and video editing, Acid for loop based music creation and Sound Forge, the all around workhorse 2-track editor. I've used Pro Tools and Audition (Cool Edit) and prefer Vegas over both for radio production. Add in Vegas' video editing capabilities (which more and more stations need what with web video and all) and the others don't come close. The Sony software is also very Windows-centric, with many of the same commands you are already used to using in other microsoft applications.

No need to convert to wav, fast rendering (as opposed to real time bouncing with Pro Tools) and the ability to run multiple instances of the program which comes in very handy when you need to copy audio from one session to another. You can get free demos of all of the software from the Sony site.

Have used AV and Media Touch. Prefer AV.

tvguy2

Post by tvguy2 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:21 am

I really DO dig Vegas, but 9.0 doesn't seem to have the same level of plug-ins that Adobe 3.0 has. Still, I use Vegas for all my video now.

If you really want the killer setup, go two-monitor with Adobe 3 and Vegas 9.0. Adobe 3 has a workspace setting that lets you go two monitor, so you can have your audio on the left and video on the right. It's REALLY sweet. Impresses clients, too.