Harker Research Compares Jerry Del Colliano To Joe McCarthy

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
tuneguru84

Harker Research Compares Jerry Del Colliano To Joe McCarthy

Post by tuneguru84 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:08 am

I've heard of flame wars on forums but Harker Research is jumping on Inside Music Media blogger Jerry Del Colliano about his daily content.

Without comment one way or the other, this is some pretty amazing reading:

http://harkerresearch.typepad.com/radio ... ommon.html

What do you think?

rowdy

Re: Harker Research Compares Jerry Del Colliano To Joe McCarthy

Post by rowdy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:23 am

Way to stand up for the status quo Richard. I've worked with you in the past and find you to be a perfect fit with the consolidators who have fucked 1000's of broadcasters out a career.

KCNR in Portland was a lame radio station in 1980 and your only claim to fame. You should be the one to shut-up!

philharmonicccc

Post by philharmonicccc » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:07 am

Thank god for Jerry Del Colliano, having the guts to say it like it is! He is one of the few.

jcolletta275

Post by jcolletta275 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:04 pm

You know, I'll make it clear I side with Del Colliano on this (and generally on most other things as well), but let me put it in Internet terms that Harker probably won't understand: DON'T FEED THE TROLL! That is to say, in layman's terms, if he's riling you up, don't respond, because it'll simply amuse him and antagonize him to push it further! :lol:

Ultimately what it comes down to is this: is the state of the industry even remotely acceptable? And no matter what angle you approach it from, the answer is no. God forbid someone come along and give their opinions on what to do about fixing it. If you disagree with those opinions, fine, say so, and point out how YOU would do things better, but to argue in favor of the current situation when it's extremely obvious that it isn't working? That's downright stupid.

Now, for my own trolling amusement, allow me to say that Joe McCarthy was right all along.

rick699

Post by rick699 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Jerry Del Colliano as Joe McCarthy? Please!! I've known Jerry since our college days and he's as sincere a level-headed thinker as you'll ever meet. Jerry knows and loves radio. He's not the only observer amazed at the Nielsen and Arbitron research reports. We hope they're right, of course, but in fact they challenge every observable pattern of young listeners' behavior. To say so isn't McCarthyism. If the only way to challenge those of us like Jerry who were astonished by the research reports is to tell us to shut-up, that seems more McCarthy-like than anything else.

steveknoll

Post by steveknoll » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:06 pm

Jerry Del Colliano hits the nail on the head everyday. The consolidators are poorly run companies, that's no secret. Research firms like Harker are making things worse feeding their over-thought research to said consolidators. I'm personally looking forward to the day when we see the 3 C's torn apart by bankruptcy and watch "real" radio operators re-build the industry back where it should be.

KOOL Listener Lauren

Post by KOOL Listener Lauren » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Bitter, party of... (Posted by Glenda Shrader Bos & Richard Harker)... two!

This blog post reminded me of the crap Clear Channel tried to pull, but sillier. You would think such allegations would be backed by some substance, but all this thing was filled with were opinions and that he's wrong - wrong - wrong.

Show me one other person in this industry who cares so much about the betterment of a degrading industry, those who have careers in an industry that they love, and its survival. I guarantee you no one is more dedicated to that goal than Jerry. And on top of it, he's really a great guy!

Rick699-- well-said!

LouRadio

Post by LouRadio » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:19 pm

I don't know Harker but I CERTAINLY KNOW OF JERRY! I have only a few things to say about him: He was in at the VERY BEGINNING OF THIS CONSOLIDATION CRAP and went right along with it all and collected his FAT CHECK and SCREWED THIS BUSINESS INTO THE GROUND! Now he want's to come along and tell everyone "the sky is falling!" He was all for wiping out Weekend Programming, and let's throw in some Voice Tracking the rest of the time and so much of the other BS that became commonplace in the industry. In spite of JERRY'S EFFORTS in the beginning the masses still want their "favorite radio station"! I hope you folks who are still toiling in the business will work your asses off to get it out of the ditch that Jerry and others of his ilk put it in!!!

Mike Mitchell

tommycolorado

Post by tommycolorado » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:13 am

Subscribing to his daily diatribes, I've never read so much negative shit from Jerry about the radio industry. Despite his "suggestions" to help, he's so negative, I now skip the daily C-C-C bashing and have relegated him to my SPAM filter.