If I was an owner of a radio station I would...

Got a great idea? Need a great idea? Share it! Please, no freelance, VO/Imaging or other business plugs!
ntr

If I was an owner of a radio station I would...

Post by ntr » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 pm

...hire someone immediately to research the numerous internet radio shows. I would then offer them a block of time to host their own show on my station. Local programming is in. It is what is missing on many commercial radio stations. As an avid listener to talk radio, I want local talk. I'm tired of the same old "party bashing" talk show hosts. Damn...what has social marketing taught us? It has taught our industry of communication to (blanking) communicate! When are these corporate networks going to wake up and reach out to the local listeners? These listeners have something to say...most especially now! This is why I prefer to do business with privately owned stations. They have the pulse of the local market and are more flexible than corporate run stations. They also think outside of the box, which is where the listeners are my friends. What would you do?
Kjelene Magnell Bertrand
Producer/Creative Director/Host
NTR NTR NeoThink® Radio Network

arnaymu

Re: If I was an owner of a radio station I would...

Post by arnaymu » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Amen, sir. Amen. Local programming is going to come back eventually, there are too many readily accessible listener alternatives coming out for natl programming to compete with. "Streaming through a cell phone with unlimited data plan" is already blowing up nationwide. Why listen to local radio if teh content is not local? Many ppl already have wireless access to natl programming without having to tote a radio around. As soon as they can plug that into their car stereo, as more and more are figuring out, a local radio station carrying a natl satellite feed becomes obsolete. Want to give the listeners something they can't get elsewhere? Go local.

yourdigitalwiz

Post by yourdigitalwiz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 am

You are correct that local programming is essential, but you also have to have courage in your local talk programming to say bad things as they happen in your local community. If you can't talk about how sick people got at a local restaurant for fear that no restaurant will advertise with you, you have a huge gap to fill. National talk does not care about offending local advertisers. But it is the controversy that keeps a talk shop humming and listeners dialing.

bruciebruce

Post by bruciebruce » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:02 pm

I would develope a program format that would combine entertainment and education! with music itself being one of the most powerful influnces we have i'd start running segments of music that MOVED folks..i'd have advertising that benefited my listners instead of consistently trying to rob misdirect and ram propaganda and idiocy down ther earholes...

all of this is on the idealistic dreamer side..but hey it's my answer to the question.

skittle

Post by skittle » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:20 pm

definitely look into internet stations but not so much local programming. Look at the popularity of syndication. They would rather know what happens in Hollywood from someone in Hollywood. Not Alabama.